U.S. Congressman Steve Cohen (D-TN-09) and other House Democrats on Wednesday filed five Articles of Impeachment against President Donald J. Trump.
“The time has come to make clear to the American people and to this President that his train of injuries to our Constitution must be brought to an end through impeachment,” the congressman from Tennessee’s 9th District said in a press release. “I believe there is evidence that he attempted to obstruct an investigation into Russia’s interference with the U.S. presidential election and links between between Russia and the Trump campaign, most notably the firing of FBI Director James Comey.”
Cohen is the ranking member of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice.
The Articles of Impeachment may be read here. Other reasons given include:
- National Security Advisor Michael Flynn misled Vice President Pence about his discussions with the Russian Ambassador to the United States.
• Donald J. Trump demanded F.B.I. Director James Comey’s loyalty, and asked Comey to let Flynn go.
• Donald J. Trump fired F.B.I. Director James Comey while the F.B.I. was investigating Russian interference with the 2016 presidential election including possible collusion with the Trump campaign.
- Donald J. Trump admitted in a television interview that he had the Russia investigation on his mind when he fired F.B.I. Director Comey.
- Donald J. Trump has accepted, without the consent of Congress, emoluments (salaries) from foreign states.
- Donald J. Trump refused to divest or place his assets into a blind trust.
Democratic co-sponsors for the Articles of Impeachment are: Luis Gutierrez (Illinois); Al Green (Texas); Marcia Fudge (Ohio); Adriano Espaillat (New York);