Late Thursday, Breitbart News reported that Facebook has changed course and will now allow the Susan B. Anthony list ad supporting Marsha Blackburn.
The Susan B. Anthony List announced Thursday morning that Facebook had censored their ad contrasting Senate candidate Phil Bredesen’s pro-abortion views with opponent Marsha Blackburn’s unequivocal support for life.
The tweet contains a link to the ad.
— Susan B. Anthony List (@SBAList) November 1, 2018
This comes after the ad had been airing on digital platforms, including Facebook, since Oct. 23.
“Facebook’s decision to take down this ad is just another example of the liberal elites of Silicon Valley censoring conservative ideas online,” said U.S. Rep. Blackburn (R-TN-07). “We have repeatedly seen a demonstrated bias against conservatives and it needs to stop. The SBA List has a record of principled leadership on pro-life issues, and it is an honor to have their support in my race for United States Senate.”
In October 2017, Blackburn’s campaign announcement video was blocked by Twitter over concerns that the ad’s pro-life message would offend viewers. She boasted in the ad that she “stopped the sale of baby body parts.” A Twitter representative told the candidate’s vendors on Monday that the statement was “deemed an inflammatory statement that is likely to evoke a strong negative reaction.”
Earlier this week, Google blocked a Tennessee Republican Party ad featuring an angry mob of protestors. The ad included video footage of protestors interrupting her moment of silence for victims of the recent deadly mass shooting of a synagogue, were disapproved because they contained “shocking content.”
Those protests happened during a rally Sunday in Nashville held by U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) to support Blackburn and speak out against the way Democrats tried to tarnish the reputation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings for the Supreme Court.
– – –
Jason M. Reynolds has more than 20 years’ experience as a journalist at outlets of all sizes.