Cincinnati Mayor Silent on Trump’s Latest Sanctuary City Proposal

Find what drives you at Beaman Auto!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Cincinnati is one of two self-declared sanctuary municipalities in Ohio, but its mayor has been silent thus far on President Donald Trump’s latest immigration proposal.

The Washington Post reported last week that Trump was reconsidering a plan to place migrants in sanctuary cities, such as Cincinnati and Franklin County. Trump later confirmed the report on Twitter Friday morning.

“Due to the fact that Democrats are unwilling to change our very dangerous immigration laws, we are indeed, as reported, giving strong consideration to placing illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities,” Trump said. “Only the radical left always seems to have an open borders, open arms policy—so this should make them very happy.”

But when The Cincinnati Enquirer called Mayor John Cranley’s office for comment on how the city would respond to Trump’s proposal, he didn’t respond, nor has he released any public statements on the matter.

Cranley first declared Cincinnati a sanctuary city in 2017, and said it was something he would wear as a “badge of honor.” According to The Enquirer, Cincinnati and Franklin County are the only sanctuary cities in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Julie LeMaster, executive director of the Ohio-based Immigration and Refugee Law Center, called Trump’s proposal a “clear abuse of human beings as a political tool.”

“I think it is further proof that there is a lack of humanity in our current system and a further violation of human rights,” she said, noting that the proposal would stretch ICE’s resources even thinner.

“How would this help that crisis? How much sense would it make to take resources from where they’re needed now? First off, which cities? How are you going to get them there?” she added.

Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio Chief Executive Ted Bergh said his organization will “continue to work in the community to welcome immigrants who are seeking safety and well-being for their families.”

“We have done this for our 100-year history,” he continued. “We hope our elected officials can find a safe and fair solution to the large number of migrants in the world today.”

– – –

Anthony Gockowski is managing editor of Battleground State News, The Ohio Star, and The Minnesota Sun. Follow Anthony on Twitter. Email tips to anthony.gockowski@gmail.com.
Background Photo “Cincinnati City Hall” by Greg Hume. CC BY-SA 3.0.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Related posts

Comments