U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen, a Democrat who represents parts of Memphis and Tennessee’s Ninth Congressional District, has a challenger from within his own party for next year’s elections.
Strong told the website he knows he will have a difficult time trying to unseat Cohen.
Strong told The Memphis Flyer that Cohen has pros and cons attached to his tenure in Congress.
“Strong acknowledges that Cohen has made the appropriate votes in Congress, supported legislation that a Democrat should have supported, properly backed up Democratic President Obama, and has correctly opposed Republican President Trump. Further, says Strong, the Congressman has successfully become a factor in key national dialogues,” Strong told The Flyer.
“What he has failed to do, Strong maintains, is to bring jobs to a home region that desperately needs them. Strong even finds evidence of this alleged failure in a well-publicized stunt staged by Cohen last spring on the House Judiciary Committee. That was the occasion in May when the Congressman ridiculed the failure of Attorney General William Barr to answer a subpoena by wolfing down pieces from a Kentucky Fried Chicken basket at his seat on the committee.”
As The Tennessee Star has reported, Cohen has a history of hyperbolic remarks, usually against Republicans and, especially, U.S. Republican President Donald Trump, sometimes implying Trump is a Nazi.
This calendar year alone, Cohen has already expressed his delight over the Democrat-controlled U.S. House of Representatives no longer requiring people to say “so help me God” under oath.
At the time of the Notre Dame Cathedral fire in France earlier this year, Cohen used the occasion to say Trump is “torching the entire structure of government.”
Among other outbursts, Cohen has also:
• Said the Founding Fathers created the nation’s Electoral College as a way to hurt black people.
• Pushed for a formal study on slavery reparations.
• Co-sponsored the Green New Deal
• Celebrated people on welfare not having to work for their benefits
• Compared U.S. Republican Sen. Marsha Blackburn to the mentally-challenged Waterboy character
• Spent $200,000 of taxpayer money on a study to determine whether stress makes kids fat.
• As reported, Cohen lost his temper at a news conference in Memphis in 2013 when Tennessee Watchdog asked former U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius what she would say to people whose health insurance costs doubled or tripled due to Obamacare.
• Cohen has said Tea Party supporters are no different than arsonists and compared Republicans to Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels for opposing Obamacare.
• Cohen said the Ebola virus would mutate into a Biblical-style plague that would devastate Tennessee– unless state Republicans in the Tennessee General Assembly complied fully with Obamacare and expanded Medicaid.
– – –