Suspect Killed After Opening Fire on Carroll County Police


Details have been released about an early Monday morning high-speed police chase turned deadly in Carroll County.

Pier Shelton is dead after opening fire on police officers with an AK-47.

The encounter was captured on one police officer’s dash camera:

Star News Education Foundation Journalism Project
Shelton and his cousin, Aaron Jajuan Shelton, fled from a Georgia State Patrol officer who attempted to pull them over on Interstate 20, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI).

The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office, Carrollton Police Department, and the Villa Rica Police Department all joined the pursuit.

“During the pursuit, the passenger in the Nissan Sentra continued to shoot at officers, striking Carrollton Police Department Sergeant Rob Holloway,” the GBI press release said.

Eventually, the pair of suspects crashed, just before the situation turned deadly.

Pier Shelton fired his AK-47 at Villa Rica Police Officer Chase Gordy, striking him. He also reportedly shot Carroll County Sheriff’s Deputy John Repetto, and struck the police cruiser driven by Corporal Jamison Troutt of the Carroll County Sheriff’s Department.

Police fired back, killing Shelton.

Officers Gordy and Repetto, along with Holloway, the officer shot during the pursuit, are expected to make full recoveries, GBI said.

Aaron Jajuan Shelton, 22, has been charged with five counts of aggravated assault and three counts of aggravated battery. He is being held in the Carroll County Jail. The cousins were both from Birmingham, Alabama.

In a Facebook post, the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office said the charges were preliminary, and that more charges could be levied as the investigation continues.

“If not for the heroic efforts of all Officers and agencies involved and to Corporal Troutt and Deputy Repetto for stopping the suspect, this incident could have resulted in more Officers being injured or killed and the suspects could have posed an even bigger threat to the public as this occurred in a residential area, and at this time of the morning, people are getting ready for work and staff is getting ready to arrive at the school,” the Sheriff’s Office said in another statement.

– – –

Pete D’Abrosca is a contributor at The Georgia Star News and The Star News Network. Follow Pete on Twitter. Email tips to [email protected].
Photo “Police Tape” by Tony Webster. CC BY-SA 4.0.










Related posts