Michigan House Republicans Consider Bills to Grant IDs to Illegal Aliens

Michigan House floor


Michigan House Republicans will be taking up two bills this week introduced by Democrats that would grant state identification cards to illegal aliens.

Republicans will be considering HBs 4835 and 4836, the first of which strikes a current provision in law that requires a resident eligible for an ID to establish “that he or she is legally present in the United States.”

The second bill gives rule-making authority to Democrat Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, and gives approval for her to work with “immigrants’ rights representatives” on how IDs will be awarded, Rescue Michigan noted.

After a weeks-long break, Republicans will return Tuesday to debate the bills, Rescue Michigan said:

House Republicans are so excited about attracting illegal immigrants to Michigan, they even referred the bills, House Bills 4835 and 4836, to the “Rules and Competitiveness” committee. This is a committee designed to fast-track legislation, and these bills are the first thing they’re bringing up after their three-month holiday. …

Think of the message this is sending to law-abiding Michiganders. We care more about rewarding those here illegally than helping you, the chumps who voted for us.

According to the legislation, the Secretary of State “shall” grant “a temporary official state personal identification card pending the verification” of the authenticity of any document submitted to prove residency, which may include:

  • A valid unexpired consular identification document issued by a consulate from the applicant’s country of citizenship or a valid unexpired passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship.
  • An original birth certificate or other proof of age. If an original birth certificate is in a language other than English, the applicant shall provide a certified translation of the birth certificate.
  • A home utility bill, lease or rental agreement, or other proof of Michigan residence.
  • One or more of the following documents that, if in a language other than English, must be accompanied by a certified translation or an affidavit of translation into English:
  • A marriage license or divorce certificate.
  • A foreign federal electoral photo card issued on or after January 1, 1991.
  • A foreign driver license.
  • A receipt for a United States Department of Homeland Security form I-589, application for asylum and for withholding of removal.
  • An official school or college transcript that includes the applicant’s date of birth, or an official foreign school record that includes a photograph of the applicant at the age the record was issued.
  • A United States Department of Homeland Security form I-20 or form DS-2019.

“The people of Michigan are suffering like never before. Unemployment and inflation are rampant. Public schools have been transformed into centers for child abuse. Bureaucrats demand we surrender our liberty to control our bodies and take experimental drugs to enrich the pharmaceutical industry. Yet lawmakers in Michigan are busy… trying to pass legislation to issue IDs and driver licenses to illegal aliens,” the group said.

— — —

Cooper Moran is a reporter for The Star News Network. Follow Cooper on Twitter. Email tips to [email protected]
Photo “Michigan House floor” by Michigan House Republicans.


Related posts