The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Yuma Sector late last week announced that it arrested a previously convicted and deported child sex offender attempting to reenter the United States.
“Yuma Sector agents arrested a child rapist that illegally entered the U.S. on Monday,” CBP’ Yuma’s Chief Patrol Agent Chris T. Clem said. “The migrant, Edgard Antonio Gutierrez-Martinez, has felony convictions for first degree child rape and incest. Agents turned over the migrant to US Marshals this morning to face prosecution.”
Yuma Sector agents arrested a child rapist that illegally entered the U.S. on Monday. The migrant, Edgard Antonio Gutierrez-Martinez, has felony convictions for first degree child rape and incest. Agents turned over the migrant to US Marshals this morning to face prosecution. pic.twitter.com/YXPs3LGMQG
— Chief Patrol Agent Chris T. Clem (@USBPChiefYUM) October 6, 2021
This is not the first time that CBP in Arizona has arrested previously convicted sex offenders during their attempts to illegally reenter the United States.
In fact, in a one week period from July 23 to July 30 alone, CBP in Tucson documented five arrests of previously convicted sex offenders, four of whom had been convicted for sex crimes against children. Each of the sexual predators had been convicted of their crimes in different states, including Pennsylvania, Connecticut, North Carolina, New Jersey, and New York.
In August, CBP in Yuma arrested Jorge Ramirez-Rivera of El Salvador, another previously convicted child sex offender.
“Record checks conducted on Ramirez-Rivera at the Yuma station revealed that he was a registered sex offender. Ramirez-Rivera was convicted of molestation of a child in 2012 in El Monte, California, for which he was sentenced to 142 days in jail,” CBP said in a statement at the time.
The influx in illegal alien crossings continues under the Biden administration. They reached a 21-year high in July, with CBP agents encountering over 200,000 people attempting to cross into the United States.
Meanwhile, the Biden administration over the weekend canceled the few remaining contracts the federal government had with border wall builders.
Bill Melugin of Fox News in Los Angeles Monday reported that millions of dollars worth of steel apportioned for border wall construction is simply sitting idle, and apparently will not be put to use.
NEW: What does it look like to not build the border wall? Our drone is overhead in Pharr, TX at one location where steel for the border wall has been baking in the sun & going to waste since January. Tens of millions of dollars worth of steel here already paid for. @FoxNews pic.twitter.com/RTdiMTyqAh
— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) October 11, 2021
– – –
Pete D’Abrosca is a contributor at The Arizona Sun Times and The Star News Network. Follow Pete on Twitter. Email tips to [email protected].
Photo “U.S. Border Patrol” by Defense Visual Information Distribution Service.